The building of the bridge in 1779 resulted in the growth of a settled population in its immediate area. The district, at the time, formed part of the parish of Madeley.
The nearest churches were at Broseley and Madeley and, following the spiritual revival brought about by the teaching of Whitfield, Wesley and Fletcher, a few earnest and influential residents thought that a church should be built in Iron Bridge. On 26th December 1834 a small meeting of parishioners was held in the Savings Bank. Estimates had been invited for building the proposed church, which was designed by Thomas Smith of Madeley. The lowest of these was accepted - that of Samuel Smith and Son of Madeley Wood.
A committee was formed in 1835 to organise funds by subscription, and the final cost of the building alone was £2,942 16s 1d. The total cost was £3,232 1s 11d, including £50 for the site. We are told that 321,000 bricks were used in the construction. (Bricks were then priced at 8s 0d per thousand.)
The church was completed by the middle of 1837 but, owing to the death of the then Bishop of Hereford, it was not consecrated until 26th October 1837, although permission had been given for services to be held prior to the consecration.
|camera||PENTAX K-3 II|
|exposure mode||aperture priority|