About 7 miles West of Leominster (the nearest railway station is here) and 3 of Eardisland, also on the River Arrow, is one of two black and white villages in Herefordshire. Occupied since the Magna Carta, mentioned in the Doomsday Book, Pembridge used to be a market town during mediaeval times. A village today, it still retains it’s charm, attractive buildings on every street and liveliness and is the crowning glory of north Herefordshire’s Black & White Village Trail! Ye Olde Steppes dates from the mid-16th century and was possibly a rectory until 1777. Now the steps lead from the market place into the churchyard. The church of St Mary is 14th century but contains 2 archways dating from the 12th century Norman era. Nearby is The Old Market Hall (an ancient pagoda-like building) which is again from the 16th century. Behind this structure is found The New Inn – ironically one of the oldest pubs in the county! This and the other pub here, The Red Lion, offer food and real ale. The Kings House was originally a pub (The Greyhound Inn) but is now a restaurant. Dunkertons Cider Shop is open every day too!
|exposure mode||full manual|