On the Gwilli railway
Welsh Guardsman" was built by Robert Stephenson and Hawthorn of Newcastle on Tyne in 1944 and was delivered new to the War Department.
In 1947, she was sold to the National Coal Board to work in Northumberland, from where she was then transferred to Cynheidre Colliery near Llanelli. From 1976 until 1980 she was kept as a source of spares at Pontarddulais, before being saved by the Welsh Industrial & Maritime Museum.
On arrival at Bronwydd Arms, parts from other locomotives were transferred: the loco has the boiler from Hunslet No. 3822 and the cab and tank of Bagnall No 2758 of 1944.
The locomotive carries its war department number 71516 and was named "Welsh Guardsman" in a special ceremony at Bronwydd Arms. Following an overhaul at Llangollen the locomotive is now privately owned by Felinfoel Brewery and was rededicated at a ceremony at Bronwydd Arms on 9th June 2014.
|camera||PENTAX K-3 II|
|exposure mode||aperture priority|