The villa was discovered by accident in 1864, when a gamekeeper found fragments of paving and pottery on the bank of soild which covered what is now referred to as room 32.
The importance of these finds were recognised by James Farrer who uncovered most of the buildings now visible over a period of two years at the expense of the then owner, the Earl of Eldon, who also provided the Museum and roofing for some of the structures.
In 1924 the site was bought for The National Trust by means of subscriptions raised largely by the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society.
Since that time, further discoveries have been made such as a child's coffin in 1935, the excavation of Room 4 in 1954 and a series of excavations by Sir John Richmond from 1958 until his death in 1965.
With their usual flair the Victorians built this shooting lodge on the site.
|camera||PENTAX K-3 II|
|exposure mode||aperture priority|