Dedicated to St Leonard, the church stands on the site of an earlier 12th century church, which similar to many others was demolished during the Victorian period. The present church standing on the edge of Charlecote Park was instigated and paid for by Mrs Mary Elizabeth Lucy, whom’s family resided at Charlecote Park. The church contains the Lucy family vault.
John Gibson designed the church and Mrs Lucy laid the foundation stone during April 1850. Erected from blocks of ashlar stone, a large rectangular dressed stone with even faces and square edges the church remains much the same as when Mrs Lucy planned it.
Much of the woodwork was created by Davis of Taunton using wood from the Charlecote estate and the designs by John Gibson.
With the close association with Charlecote Park and the Lucy family the church contains several interesting family tombs in the Lucy Chapel with the earliest being the alabaster tomb of Lady Joyce Lucy wife who died in 1595and of Sir Thomas Lucy who died in 1600.
|exposure mode||full manual|