The church of ST. PETER consists of a chancel about 25 ft. by 16 ft., a nave 38½ ft. by 18½ ft., a north aisle 12 ft. wide, a north chapel and a vestry. These dimensions are all internal.
Nearly the whole church has been rebuilt in recent years, but enough remains to prove the existence of a church in the middle of the 12th century consisting of a chancel and nave with a north aisle of about the dimensions of the present structure. Practically no additions were made, except the insertion of one or two windows in the 14th century, until the modern rebuilding. At a late date the structure was allowed to get much out of repair and the north aisle was destroyed, the arcade being filled up. In 1885 the arcade was reopened, a new north aisle was built, the nave and chancel walls and arcade repaired and restored, a north chapel (for the Rous monuments) and a vestry and sacristy added, and the nave reroofed. A bellcote was also constructed above the west wall of the chancel.
|camera||PENTAX K100D Super|
|exposure mode||shutter priority|