Waiting room, now office and waiting room. c1880. Iron frame made
by the Vulcan Iron Works, Worcester, with panels of glazed
ceramic tiles by Maw and Company; concealed flat roof.
EXTERIOR: single storey, 3:1:3 bays, the centre is set back. Bays
articulated by paired columns with decorative capitals on plinths
which break forward from panelled dado; surmounting frieze and
modillion cornice. Bays have paired 1/1 round-arched sashes in
moulded surrounds, windows to recess have paired columns between.
Entrances in centre returns: part-glazed, double doors with
semi-circular-arched heads, glazing has Y-tracery, doors have
lower raised and fielded panels with bolection mouldings. The
tiles are richly coloured and in a variety of patterns: those o
dado have star pattern, those to frieze have Greek key.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the Vulcan Iron Works, manufacturers of railway
equipment, operated from the south side of Shrub Hill Road from
1857; by 1903 the company was known as McKenzie and Holland. The
two platforms and four lines of rails at Shrub Hill Station wee
originally covered by a curved roof of wrought-iron lattice
girders and glazed on the ridge-and-furrow principle; this was
removed c1936. It is a grade 2 listed building and may have been a one off for an exhibition
|exposure mode||full manual|