The parish of Cookham, formed in 1894 from the ancient parish by the severance of that part of Maidenhead lying north of the London and Bath road, consists of an upland and lowland district. The latter, to the east, is in the Thames Valley between Hedsor and Maidenhead; the former, to the west, used to be known as Woodside and contains the hils of Cookham Dean, Rowburrow and Cocksburrow. The civil parish includes the whole of the ecclesiastical parishes of Cookham Dean, formed in 1846, and Cookham, besides parts of St. Luke's, Maidenhead (1867), and St. James's, Stubbings (1856). The modern hamlet called Cookham Rise is on Cocksburrow Hill. At the southern end of the parish the new hamlets of Furze Platt and Highway and the group of villas called Maidenhead Court border Maidenhead closely on the west and north. The area of the whole is 5,666 acres, of which 2,135 are arable, 1,776 permanent grass and 109 woods and plantations. In addition to the production of wheat, oats and barley a quantity of fruit is grown, and a number of the inhabitants find employment in the tile and brick works.
|exposure mode||full manual|