the earliest part of the present church is the nave arcade, dating from the 12th century. The north aisle is mid-14th-century work, and the south of a few years later.
Traces of flying buttresses on the walls of both aisles, and carried across to the western piers, seem to point to the existence of a tower earlier than the present aisles, whose eastern arch, at some date after 1350, was in danger of spreading. The north and south walls of this tower being within the church would have formed bays similar to those of the arcade, but not in line with them.
¶In the middle of the 15th century a new tower was built immediately to the west of the older one, but not connected with it and not in line with the nave and previous tower. The older tower was then removed and the new one connected with the west ends of the aisle walls, and finally the north and south arches of the old tower were replaced by a continuation of the nave arcade built outside them. In order to keep these new bays of approximately equal width the responds were necessarily of unequal projection, and part of the last pier on the south side was cut away.
The present chancel was built in 1848. The east window is of three lights, with a two-light window in the south wall and one of one light on the north. Under a recess on the north side is a fine late 14th-century effigy of a priest in mass vestments holding 2 chalice.
For more info
|exposure mode||full manual|