The name of Evesham comes from the Old English home and Eof. It was officially noted down in 709 as Eveshomme and was first recorded as Evesham in 1086. The word home or ham was typically used to denote land that was prone to flooding in a bend or by the side of a river in Worcestershire.
In 701, Evesham Abbey was founded and grew to become one of the largest Abbeys in England. Following the Norman Conquest, the Abbey was built upon further after the conclusion of the Norman Conquest. This led to the further growth of Evesham as well as considerable income from pilgrimages to the Abbey. Evesham Abbey was later sold and dismantled by Henry VIII as part of the dissolution of the monasteries. Little is left remaining of the Abbey today.
Evesham developed as an important market town after being granted a market by King Edward in 1055.
Evesham is the site of an important historical battle in August 1265. The battle was part of the Second Barons’ War where Prince Edward was victorious over de Montfort and was a serious setback for the rebellion. It was not a decisive victory however with the rebellion continuing until 1267.
|exposure mode||full manual|