Thechurch of ST. JOHN BAPTIST consists of chancel 40 ft. 6 in. by 32 ft. 3 in., north vestry, clearstoried nave 67 ft. 6 in. by 36 ft. 6 in., a north aisle 20 ft. 3 in. wide and a south aisle 20 ft. 9 in. wide, a south porch, and west tower 19 ft. 6 in. by 18 ft. These measurements are all internal.
The earliest church, of which there are remains in the south door and the eastern respond of the north arcade of the nave, was a late 12th-century cruciform aisleless building, having a chancel smaller than the present one.
In the middle of the 13th century the chancel was rebuilt, lengthened and widened on the south side, a 13th-century arch replacing the Norman one to the nave. The south aisle is also of this date, and it may be presumed that a narrow north aisle was added at this time.
The position of the piscina here may indicate that the old transept was retained and used as a chapel. There is no evidence of an early tower. In the 14th century the vestry was added to the chancel, and late in the same century the present west tower and spire were built. In the 15th century the north wall of the north aisle was probably rebuilt in line with the north wall of the transept, the west wall of which was then removed and windows were spaced along the wall, using up two 14th-century windows from the former aisle and perhaps the jambs of the north transept window. Later in the century the aisle was carried on by the side of the chancel as far as the vestry, though it is possible that a chapel already existed east of the transept at this point, before the east wall of the transept was removed.
During the 15th century a steep-pitched ceiling existed over the nave, but at the end of that century or the beginning of the next this was removed, the south arcade being rebuilt at the same time and a clearstory added.
In the south aisle the square projecting tomb recess was added to the south wall and a porch built to replace the earlier one. The church was thoroughly restored by Sir Gilbert Scott in 1858, and the upper part of the spire was rebuilt in 1892.
Info from British history online
|exposure mode||full manual|