Velinheli is a 0-4-0ST 'Quarry Hunslet' built by the Hunslet Engine Company as No. 409 in 1886. She was the first of numerous "Alice" class Quarry Hunslets built. She spent her working life in the Welsh Slate Quarries at Dinorwic, being last used in 1962. Velinheli was sold to Armstrong Evans in 1965, being moved to Cornwall in 1969. Velinheli was then rebuilt by James Evans for use on the private Inny Valley Railway. When this railway closed in 1986, she was moved to Launceston. Velinheli is privately owned by James Evans.
Interestingly, when she was built, Velinheli carried a domeless boiler, whilst she now carries a domed boiler. The domed boiler was fitted in 1952 along with (it is believed) the saddle tank from sister locomotive "Maid Marian"; it was common practice at the slate quarries for components and parts of locomotives to be swapped around when overhauls were taking place.