The area of Cathedral Close, Exeter has been in the centre of Exeter since Roman times when there was a basilica and a bath house in this area. A church was established here by the seventh century when a young Saint Boniface came from Crediton to study. The area was walled after 1283 and seven gates into the yard were created. The gates included one at St Petrocks and the original grand entrance into the yard - Broadgate. This created the cathedral close.
In the centre of the green is a statue of Richard Hooker, a 16th-century Anglican theologian, who was born in Exeter. Now it is a meeting place and a place to have lunch and is often full of students