The vast and rambling remains of this palatial 19th century mansion, surrounded by magnificent landscaped gardens & containing huge stone fountains, provide a great day out in Worcestershire. The largest fountain, representing Perseus and Andromeda - now restored - was described as making the 'noise of an express train' when fired.
Before 1846, when William Humble Ward (later first Earl of Dudley) inherited Witley Court, the land surrounding the house was laid out in the 18th century English landscape style. William Andrews Nesfield, whose skills in designing intricate and elegant parterres were complemented by his great ability as an artist and engineer, was called in to transform the estate, creating the South Parterre with its great Perseus and Andromeda fountain and elegantly designed planting and clipped evergreens and shrubs.
Following the disastrous fire in 1937, the Witley Estate, including its gardens, fell into long decline. English Heritage has restored the south garden. In addition, Wolfson Foundation funding has assisted with major restoration works in the East Parterre garden which was completed early in 2011. This funding also enabling us to plan development of the formal gardens based on the original Nesfield designs. The showpiece Woodland Walks in the North Park pass many different species of tree and shrub from all over the world.
Text copied from English Heritage website