Production of salt in Droitwich ceased in the 1920's but the memory lingers on.
Historical maps and records of salt areas often reveal the locations of brine springs through their place names. In Roman times, sources of salt were noted as Salinae and in Medieval times the locations of salt springs were indicated by the suffix wich or wyche. Many of these places were further differentiated so that, for example, in Cheshire, the towns of Nantwich, Middlewich and Northwich were established. Nantwich refers to the named wich (Nametwilhc in 1194), Middlewich to the middle wich and Northwich to the northern most wich. Likewise in Droitwich the different springs were individually named as Netherwich, Middlewich and Upwich corresponding to their places in the town and lower, middle and upper locations along the River Salwarpe (possibly derived from the Roman name of Salinae). Many other places include wich or wyche as prefix or suffix, such as the administrative district for Droitwich is Wychaven.
Although little evidence remains it is documented that the natural brine springs at Northwich were used in pre-Roman times. At Droitwich a possible Iron Age brine boiling hearth was excavated at the site of the Upwich brine spring and probable remains of Iron Age salt pits were found nearby. The Roman remains at Upwich were extensive and showed a well-organised salt industry with a wood-lined well and a probable brine lifting structure. The importance of Droitwich as a salt producer in Roman times is indicated by its Roman name of Salinae, a name also applied to Middlewich and used for Saltzburg in Austria. Droitwich has been recognised as the Salinae noted in Claudius Ptolemy's Geography compiled in ca. 140-150 A.D., and as the place named Salinis noted in the Ravenna Cosmography compiled soon after 700 A.D. The Roman names and archaeological evidence indicate that brine was flowing to the surface at Droitwich, Middlewich and Northwich since before the start of written history. The Early Medieval period or Dark Ages is poorly documented, but one of the earliest references to Droitwich salt was in 716 when King Ethelbald granted a salt pit on the south side of the River Salwarp to Evesham Abbey. Salouuarpe (Salwarpe) was also mentioned in 817 and brine springs and salt furnaces were recorded at Droitwich in 816 and 906. In 962 A.D. Bishop Oswald granted Beonetlaege (Bentley) four salt pans at Upwich (Droitwich) and enough woodland at Bradanlaege (Bradley) to fuel them. Wychbold was mentioned in 692 and Saltwic (Droitwich) in 884-901.